Monday, March 26, 2012

The pursuit of...

I wouldn’t say my life is fabulous, perfect or even really all that exciting.  In fact, most days it borders on the monotonous.  What I will say is that it’s a good life, filled with good people and good feelings.  Sure, I have the occasional, “life is shit, this place is shit, my hair is shit” days, but most of them are spent smiling and thinking about the good that has come my way.
I heard a comment that “happy people are kind of annoying and arrogant.”  My first silent response to this, being the happy person I am, was “Shut up you Negative Nancy, and stop being jealous!”  After I put a bit more thought into this gut reaction, I realized; well isn’t that just an annoying response to your annoyance?  Hmmm…
After a while, I came to a few strong conclusions.  First, I should stop wondering why this person hates happy people and start wondering, “Why is this person not happy?”  Of course, that’s biting off a bit more than I can chew because we all know don’t we, that only you can make yourself happy in the end.  And really, what was I hoping could come out of this pondering?  That I, this happy, yet simple individual could make this unhappy person light up with joy at the snap of my fingers?  How arrogant I really must be!  But I was on the right track.  Stop being angry that my happiness didn’t sit well, and start spreading my happiness to those it doesn’t come so easily to.  And so forth to my second conlcusion...
Maybe my happiness with life is boastful, and unknowing.  Maybe I wasn’t taking into consideration that so many people don’t have a great or wonderful life, and just getting up in the morning might be a major accomplishment for them.  Maybe, in all my smiling and high fiving and energetic “hello’s,” I was only rubbing the fact that my life doesn’t exactly suck into the faces of those living quite the opposite. 
I again sat and thought about this for a while and came to my final conclusion.  Energy, whether positive or negative, is spread with or without conscious effort.  If I chose to censor my happiness, hide it away from those who don’t want to see it, all I’m doing is feeding the negative juice with more negative.  And since misery does love company, the haters of the happy will keep on hating, and eventually, won’t I become just another hater?  So instead, I’ll keep on smiling, keep on adding my little bits of joy to the air, and keep reveling in my never-ending pursuit of converting the unhappy to the lighter side of life!  Join me, and refuse to stop being happy! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment